Palace of Illusions

From Olentangy Park Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Palace of Illusions
Type Funhouse
Park Section Colonnade
Built 1904
Opened 1904
Closed 1905
Architect J. W. Zarro

A funhouse attraction called the Palace of Illusions was opened at Olentangy Park in 1904. It was located in the Colonnade, just north of the ravine and what was known as "the plateau."[1] It operated for about two years.

The attraction was described in the Columbus Sunday Dispatch as "entertaining, mystifying, and instructive."[2] It had magical illusions, ghost shows, and other "weird and uncanny effects never before seen in Columbus." It was constructed under the supervision of J. W. Zarro of Cincinnati and his Zarro Amusement Device Company.[3][4]


  1. "Columbus Railway & Light Co." Street Railway Review. Vol. XVI. No. 2. Pg. 70.
  2. "Grand Opening Olentangy Park, Theater and Zoo." The Columbus Sunday Dispatch. 24 April 1904. Pg. 4.
  3. "Olentangy Park, a Coney Island Rival" The Columbus Sunday Dispatch. 1 May 1904. Pg. 4.
  4. The Billboard. 23 April 1904. Vol. 16. Issue 17. Pg. 8.